"The best in English translation, quality of print
and not least the price" – Book Review, January 25, 2001
– Arabic numerals replace Roman numerals.
– Surah names transliterated.
– Juz’ division markers included.
– Arabic text in Madinah script, newly reset and improved.
– More appropriate Islamic terminology used throughout, e.g., “Allah” instead of “God” and “Messenger” replaces “Apostle”.
– New reset type with updated spelling and transliteration.
– Extensive running commentary revised and clarified to avoid misinterpretation.
About the Translator
On April 4, 1872, ‘Abdullah Yusuf ‘A1i was born in a family of the Bohra community in Surat, India. His father, a merchant, was a very religious man who made sure that his son learned Qur’an before anything else. Upon the completion of young ‘Abdullah’s committing the entire Qur’an to memory, his father celebrated the occasion with a grand banquet, thus showing to his son the importance of his achievement and the importance of the Qur’an. In addition to studying contemporary knowledge at school, ‘Abdullah continued to receive lessons in Arabic language and never ceased in his studies of the Qur’an. He was a superior student who excelled in academic achievement and won the much coveted Indian Civil Service Award, a prestigious honor resulting from the extremely competitive entrance examinations for high positions in the Indian Civil Service which wealthy families would aspire for their sons to receive. ‘Abdullah was easily able to absorb English literature and was considered to be among the best of his fellow countrymen in writing English. Many of the most well-known scholarly magazines in India published his works and expressed their appreciation for his beautiful literary style. Later, ‘Abdullah Yusuf 'Ali left India for Europe and visited many European capitals and eventually resided in London for a considerable period of time.
‘Abdullah Yusuf ‘Ali later died in London on December 10, 1953.
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!